Fundamentals Level // 5-Week Online Course
July 1 - Aug 4
$260 if registered by 6/10/2019
$310 if registered after 6/10/2019
Your course registration includes a free 4-issue subscription to Creative Nonfiction or a free ebook; click here for more details.
Instructor: Marissa Landrigan
Digital communication technologies have made new forms of storytelling more accessible and more global than ever before. Now, we can enhance our stories with image, sound, and movement,and anyone with a smartphone and an internet connection can upload and share their story.
This beginner’s course is designed to introduce you to the many possibilities of digital storytelling and help you get started on making your own video essay. Through readings, viewings, and discussions, we'll explore how to stay grounded in the basic elements of creative nonfiction while developing multimedia stories.
This course takes a graduated approach to hands-on skills including capturing and editing your own images, audio, and video; each week will focus on one element of the video essay, giving beginners plenty of time to explore and allowing you to build on your work so that by the end of the course, you have a complete video essay. We'll also explore some venues for publishing video essays, and explore how digital technology can enhance (rather than detract from) the inherent connective power of creative nonfiction.
How it works:
Each week provides:
- writing prompts and/or assignments
- discussions of readings and other general topics with peers and the instructor
lectures and instruction
Some weeks also include:
- opportunities to submit writing, image, sound, and video mini-stories for instructor and peer critique
Technical requirements: You will need access to a digital camera and basic image-editing software, an audio recorder and sound editor, and a digital video recorder and video editor. Any smartphone or tablet will do the trick, as will any computer outfitted with a camera and microphone. Resources for apps to use and tech tutorials will be made available on the course site.
Week 1: Storytelling in a Digital Age
Week 2: Every Picture Tells a Story
Week 3: Scripting Your Story
Week 4: Listen Carefully
Week 5: The Silver Screen
* US residents will receive a complimentary 4-issue subscription to Creative Nonfiction with their online class registration (or a 4-issue extension to their existing subscription). Students outside the US can receive a free copy of the ebook Creating Nonfiction, or can choose to receive a 4-issue print subscription for the cost of shipping fees. We regret that we are not able to supply complimentary digital subscriptions for international students at this time.
If you are an international student who would like a print subscription instead of an ebook, please contact us at email@example.com after you register.
Refund and cancellation policies
By 5pm EST on the Monday before classes begin (one week prior to start date):
- Students may request a refund (less a $50 application fee). You may also request a transfer (no fee) to another course in the same term or future term. Transfer credits must be applied within two years from your cancellation date.
By 5pm EST on the Friday at the end of the first week of classes:
- Students may transfer their enrollment credit to a future course (less a $95 processing fee for 10-week courses or a $75 processing fee for 5-week courses). Transfer credits must be applied within two years from your cancellation date.
- Students may switch to another class in the same term (subject to availability) for a $25 fee.
No refunds or transfers will be offered after this deadline.