Fundamentals Level // 10-Week Online Course
April 08 - June 16
$435 if registered by 03/18/2019
$485 if registered after 03/18/2019
Learn how to receive a "refer-a-friend" discount by clicking here.
Your course registration includes a free 4-issue subscription to Creative Nonfiction or a free ebook; click here for more details.
Instructor: Joelle Fraser
Patterned after our popular Boot Camp course, this class is designed to help break the potentially overwhelming task of writing a memoir into manageable daily writing. Each week will focus on a different aspect of memoir writing, from opening chapters to scenes involving dialogue. Monday through Thursday, you will be encouraged to post 300 words of new writing, and at the end of the week you will choose 1,000 words from the week’s work (or elsewhere) to submit to your instructor for comment. This course will help you tackle your memoir by providing firm deadlines, writing exercises, and weekly feedback. Along the way you'll also develop the habit of writing regularly.
In order to receive instructor feedback each week, you must complete the following activities:
- post 300 words per day on at least 2 out of the 5 weekdays
- post a paragraph of comments on the work of at least two fellow students at some point during the week or weekend
Week 1: Find Your Focus
Week 2: The Shape of Your Narrative
Week 3: Points of Tension
Week 4: Scene & Summary
Week 5: Writing About People
Week 6: A Sense of Place
Week 7: Incorporating Detail
Week 8: Research
Week 9: Revision
Week 10: Where Are You Going?
* US residents will receive a complimentary 4-issue subscription to Creative Nonfiction magazine with their online course registration (or a 4-issue extension to their existing subscription). Students outside the US can receive a free copy of the ebook Creating Nonfiction: Lessons from the Voice of the Genre, or can choose to receive a 4-issue print subscription for the cost of shipping fees. We regret that we are not able to offer complimentary digital subscriptions for international students at this time.
If you are an international student who would like a print subscription, please click here to add the cost of shipping to your order total. If you prefer the ebook, contact us at email@example.com after you register.
Refund and cancellation policies
By 5pm EST on the Monday before classes begin (one week prior to start date):
- Students may request a refund (less a $50 application fee). You may also request a transfer (no fee) to another course in the same term or future term. Transfer credits must be applied within two years from your cancellation date.
By 5pm EST on the Friday at the end of the first week of classes:
- Students may transfer their enrollment credit to a future course (less a $95 processing fee for 10-week courses or a $75 processing fee for 5-week courses). Transfer credits must be applied within two years from your cancellation date.
- Students may switch to another class in the same term (subject to availability) for a $25 fee.
No refunds or transfers will be offered after this deadline.